Trees are “carbon sinks”; natural reservoirs that capture and store carbon present in the atmosphere. They need CO2 to grow by transforming it through photosynthesis. A tree is thus composed of 50% carbon. After the oceans, forests are the largest carbon sinks on the planet.
How many trees?
In 2019, a study counted 900 million hectares in the world where it would be possible to plant hundreds of billions of trees. Ultimately, these forests could capture 205 gigatons of carbon, or about a quarter of the carbon accumulated in the atmosphere so far. In Canada, 600 million trees are replanted each year to maintain logging. Two billion more trees are planned by 2030.
The carbon storage capacity of a tree varies according to species, age, size, climate, and soil. Some trees grow faster and absorb CO2 faster. Others grow more slowly but live longer and therefore absorb CO2 longer. In Quebec, depending on the latitude, we plant softwoods, such as white spruce, or hardwoods, such as red oak and poplar.
Where to plant?
Plantation projects concern both new forests and restoration projects for damaged forests, throughout Quebec and Canada. In this case, it is a question of replanting after natural disasters, such as floods, landslides, tornadoes and fires, or pest invasions. To maximize the trees’ chances of survival and longevity, they should be planted by hand.
When your company finances a tree planting project, it is actively contributing to the fight against global warming. It also promotes the preservation of ecosystems by restoring environments threatened by overexploitation, pollution or natural disasters. This commitment directly benefits local populations who can thus benefit from a sustainable and pleasant living environment, new jobs and stable sources of income.
- A number of trees with your budget
- A quantity for a specific project
- As part of targeted compensation
- With a GHG emissions estimation
- A volume of trees evolving thereafter
- An estimated quantity for you
- Creating your “tree reserve”
- Choice of planting project
- On-demand local site assessment
- Determination of tree species
- Tree planting and maintenance
- Follow-up with the various partners
- Multimedia direction and production
- Web development and social networks
- Editorial and journalistic content
- Prospecting/acquisition customer tool
- Your personalized web page on this site
- Have your customers plant trees